Dog-sledding on Baikal 2 days
We organise and guide diiferent dog-sledding trips at Baikal lake. Starting from 5 km ride to 20 km distance, one day ride or several days expeditions. During this tour you'll enjoy riding on a dog-sled in wintry taiga forest, ascend Dark pass and come down to the Dark valley or ride over the ice of frozen Baikal Lake (depending on a season and weather conditions). You will learn how to control the dog sled, experience what it is like being a musher, you will spend one night at the wooden house in the picturesque valley and experience Russian Banya (sauna) in winter!
from the end of November to March;
Duration: 2 days
Day 1. Dog-sledding to the Dark valley
The trip starts in Listvyanka village. (If you need transfer Irkutsk - Listvyanka, please, tell us in advance and we'll organise it for with no problem). After you arrive to Listvyanka to Baikal Dog-sledding center, our instructor will tell you about the huskies' character, teach you to hitch dogs up correctly and to ride the sled. You’ll see how friendly the dogs are you are sure to find common language with this most devoted and most ancient man's friend! Dog sled riding is not difficult, but requires some training. After everything is ready and your luggage is loaded we’ll start the trip. Usually we start this trip in the afternoon, at about 15.00. The trip begins in Listvyanka village and you’ll go for about 20 km to Chernaya (Black) valley. The route starts along a river valley and down to the ice of Baikal lake. Upon arrival there we’ll set up a camp for dogs and you’ll have lunch and rest at “Prospectors’ Retreat Lodge”.
If there is some free time you may walk over the ice to the nearest village – Bolshie Koty, an old Russian village which was founded here at Siberian Gold Rush time. Returning back to the base. In the evening you’ll enjoy Russian banya (steam sauna), which is located just 2 meters from the spring and has an ice hole big enough for plunging into the icy water! It always gives amazing refreshing and relaxed feeling. Dinner. Today you will have overnight in cozy log cabins of “Prospectors’ Retreat Lodge”. Today’s distance is 20 km.
*We may stop at the museum upon your demand, we reccomend you to see it as it is on the way to Listvyanka anyway and it gives a nice feeling and idea to know what lifesty in our region used to be.
Day 2. Dog-sledding to Listvyanka
After breakfast we’ll pack our backpacks and start the way back. Today you are more experienced and more confident in controlling the dog-sled. Baikal may be generous to you and greet you with wind in the same direction or show you how severe it can be trying to bite you with the frosty wind. Returning back to Listvyanka.
- With unexpected force-major circumstances the route may be changed, but the distance will stay the same.
- All the participants take active part in the tour (setting the dog-sled, camping, feeding dogs, watching over the sled while traveling…)
- All the participants follow instructions of the team members during the trip
- The distances may shorter/ longer due to ice regime of the lake. Ice cracks, fresh water, hummocked ice fields may change our way.
- The tour price includes English-speaking guide service during all your journey
- Maxumim group size is 4 people. If there are more participants, they may go by snowmobiles (must be agreed beforehand). There may be a variant of the combined tour, when the price for 5-6 person is the same as 4th participant.
- For long expeditions double sledge is used. There are 10-12 dogs pulling each sledge. Maximum people riding a sleigh is 4 people (one person on each sleigh).
- Don’t forget to take warm clothes during your trip, warm shoes, gloves, sun-cream and glasses.
- If you are a vegetarian, or have any food preferences, please, let us know in advance
This tour is organized in many years of cooperation with the Baikal dog-sledding center.
The tour price includes:
- rent of dog-sled necessary dog-sledding equipment instructor's service
- 1 night accommodation at the wooden house in Dark valley
- 3 meals (lunch, dinner, breakfast)
- English-speaking guide service
The tour price doesn’t include:
- transfers Irkutsk and Listvyanka not mentioned in the program
- accommodation not mentioned in the program (if you want us to book accommodation for you, please, contact our manager).
- additional services (Baikal museum, Cherskiy rock, etc)
- meals in Listvyanka
- beverages and alcoholic drinks tips and personal expences transfers to/back to Listvyanka (if it is needed for you, please, let us know when you arrive and we'll organise it for you).
If you have any questions or would like to book the tour, please, contact us. Thank you for your interest!
Please contact us for the tour price and available dates.
Leave a comment